The history of Tiong Bahru Qi Tian Gong dates back to 1920, first located in the 'taro garden', which is the present Tiong Bahru estate. The original site is an attap hut located across Eng Hoon Street. In 1938, the temple moved to the current location.
In 1979, in response to the policy of the government to preserve the historical monuments, Tiong Bahru Qi Tian Gong Temple Management Committee was set up to apply for retention of the temples and monuments. In 1985, the committee acquired ownership of the temple. It took a few years in fund-raising and to apply for permit from the government. At the end of 1992, it started to rebuild the temple by maintaining its original structure layout but with a new facelift. In1993, the temple celebrated the completion of the reconstruction. It also granted the approval by the government to register as a public temple.
Tiong Bahru Qi Tian Gong temple is dedicated to the monkey god, who is featured in the novel Journey to the West Monkey King 'Sun Wu Kong'. There are more than 10 monkey god statues in the temple, the oldest of which nearly one hundred years of history, is also the first statue in the temple. Tiong Bahru Qi Tian Gong temple can be said as the first temple in Singapore dedicated to the monkey god.
Monkey god is almighty, resourceful, mercurial, brave and vigorous, who can identify true and false, helping poor and needy, is deeply respected and loved by many generation of people. Believers worship monkey god hoping to get his blessing and protection, eliminate bad luck, gain prosperity and longevity. Businessmen worship monkey god to pray for a quick mind and know how to work around to get business booming and create wealth.
The monkey god of Tiong Bahru Qi Tian Gong temple has many believers. Men and women followers always been sincere in worshiping at the temple. Incense is flourishing. The devotees from all over the country. In addition to local devotees, they are from the Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Brunei, and even from the United States.